One of my favourite things about being Vegan is that I get to chow down on as much risotto as I can handle (which happens to be alot). I am obsessed with risotto's, if I was on death row, the last meal I would eat would be a perfectly cooked risotto. I like to think I have risotto cooking down, its a labour of love for this meal but if you put the time and love into it, it will always taste amazing.
Below is my standard GO TO risotto recipe that is easy to make and tastes amazing.
- 500g Arborio Rice
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Shallots
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pepper to season
1. In a large sauce pan heat the vegetable stock over a low to medium heat.
2. In a large pan add the olive oil, bay leaf, crushed garlic and diced shallots and stir until fragrant and the shallots are starting to brown.
3. Add the rice and stir for around 2 minutes or until all the excess oil has been absorbed then turn the pan down to a medium heat.
4. Add the white wine and stir for a minute whilst the alcohol cooks down.
5. Add the juice of both lemons and the rind into the rice mixture and stir.
6. Begin to add the heated stock into the rice mixture one ladle at a time ensuring that you continuously stir the rice, when you can drag your spoon through the rice and it doesn't immediately slide back together it is time to add another ladle of stock.
7. Continue slowly adding the stock until the rice has released its starch and become quite creamy, if you bite a grain it should still be slightly Al dente but not hard.
8. Add the diced asparagus and stir for 2 minutes then season with pepper.
9. Divide evenly between 2, garnish with extra lemon rind and enjoy.
Labels: Healthy Recipes, Recipes., Risotto, Vegan Recipes